Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

606.138 Posts in 16.725 Topics- by 41.598 Members - Latest Member: Tddkgiy
Elex Online ForumDiskusi UmumFreeTalk LXOLearning Lounge (Moderators: cyan198, smartie, camolatte)English Cafe - cozy place to OOT in english (Read pg.01 for guidance)
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 [288] 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 ... 317   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: English Cafe - cozy place to OOT in english (Read pg.01 for guidance)  (Read 363518 times)
dian_z
LX - Member

I like genre manga which breaks its genre boundary

WWW Awards
« Reply #2870 on: June 03, 2013, 10:09:11 am »

yeah, it's confussing between UK and USA english, but anyone knows the Singlish? It's Singaporean english laugh they mix melayu and english together...

Speaking of which, what variety of English do you speak?
It's kinda hard for me to speak only one of them, since I am taught British English while the exposures I meet in real life (such as from the internet or books) are mostly of Americans. So far I tried to only use American English, but many times still I can't distinguish some language features from the British ones.
But then again, only lately I think British English is more fun to learn, maybe since I'm lack of British English exposures. After watching some British films, I find their accents to be more unique than American English that I tried to imitate how they speak, it's kinda fun.

(conclusion, my English is just getting more mixed, duh)

raven
(r)avengers
LX - Kidz
LX - Frenzy

WWW Awards
« Reply #2871 on: June 03, 2013, 12:46:40 pm »

now that we talk about language, here's a poem about pronunciation http://www.i18nguy.com/chaos.html (there's some vids, too, on youtube)

and the confusion about american/british english often found in social media.. as in tumblr (rated M for mature language? oops)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:47:52 pm by raven » Logged

dian_z
LX - Member

I like genre manga which breaks its genre boundary

WWW Awards
« Reply #2872 on: June 03, 2013, 02:24:13 pm »

now that we talk about language, here's a poem about pronunciation http://www.i18nguy.com/chaos.html (there's some vids, too, on youtube)

What an insightful poem! roflmao

and the confusion about american/british english often found in social media.. as in tumblr (rated M for mature language? oops)

"... and I got really really confused", haha.
He shall be such an insane, I mean, innocent (okay, stop with the poem already).

Australia and New Zealand have a more similar English compared to US, since both were once colonized by the UK (now a commonwealth country), right? Or that the people who mostly resides in the lands now are the descendants of the British people who migrated there as the lands were conquered by the UK, erm, a long time ago.
Well that's what I heard (and learnt from films), so cmiiw.

camolatte
Centerspread inside the comical world
LX - Holic

I can be anyone, anywhere.. and I'm watching you..

WWW Awards
« Reply #2873 on: June 03, 2013, 03:26:12 pm »

By the way... I don't know where to ask this... Anyone got idea what most Japanese mangaka do for a living (I mean, their real-life job)? I say "most" because I think only a few established mangaka are successful enough to earn money solely from their works (even more if they are made into anime & merchandise). Say, Kishimoto, Oda, Gosho, Rumiko Takahashi, and most possibly other Shonen Jump/Sunday regulars.
But how about those mostly do one-shots (usually shoujo comics) or short stories?
Hmm.. this is an article from 2006 but I think it may shed a lil' enlightment: http://comipress.com/article/2006/08/05/563

Even the few established mangaka still have a dayjob, some as lecturer / teacher at some campus. And for those that handle monthly or bi-monthly publication can even held a regular office occupation. That's why some manga are released annually or even more...

In the past, it's still possible to be mangaka as main occupation. But as competition & piracy grows, only selected few are able to do so. Most mangaka cannot depend their livelihood solely on being mangaka anymore..
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 03:32:05 pm by camolatte » Logged

guguk
~agak mirip manusia...
LX - Evangelis

Awards
« Reply #2874 on: June 10, 2013, 11:34:43 am »

Hmm.. this is an article from 2006 but I think it may shed a lil' enlightment: http://comipress.com/article/2006/08/05/563

Even the few established mangaka still have a dayjob, some as lecturer / teacher at some campus. And for those that handle monthly or bi-monthly publication can even held a regular office occupation. That's why some manga are released annually or even more...

In the past, it's still possible to be mangaka as main occupation. But as competition & piracy grows, only selected few are able to do so. Most mangaka cannot depend their livelihood solely on being mangaka anymore..
Read the article, it's very hard to be a mangaka, but it seems they can do it solely because they love it...
Competition is hard enough, but more's the pity they must deal with piracy ( imagine you did something that you love and expect people will love it to, then it turns out that they love it with the wrong way... Sad )

"And frame your mind to mirth and merriment,
Which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."
camolatte
LX - Holic

WWW Awards
« Reply #2875 on: June 11, 2013, 09:35:46 am »

"Sharing is caring.", this missuse slogan are killing the mangaka profession...

Yep, that's the irony... the fans who's suppose to love and support the mangaka's work are the one who support the fall of the same mangakas, all due to ignorance and apathy toward the mangaka's well being. 

I once posted an obituary news of the Familiar of Zero's author after suffering illness for few years on social media.. and the 1st comment there is not condolences or any empathetic post from the fans, but instead "When the next volume and what took so long!!"

Until today, there still so many fans that's keep on spreading and posting recommending others to visit piracy site instead of appreciate the mangaka's hardwork by buying the manga (which still averagely cost far cheaper than their phone bill).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:46:56 am by camolatte » Logged

guguk
~agak mirip manusia...
LX - Evangelis

Awards
« Reply #2876 on: June 11, 2013, 10:46:19 am »

More like "Sharing ( scanlations ) is killing ( mangaka ).", then...

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:55:42 am by guguk » Logged

camolatte
LX - Holic

WWW Awards
« Reply #2877 on: June 12, 2013, 10:34:38 am »

Yeah.. and since money tend to be the main issue of survival, this is what probably will happen...

There will be gap and change in manga quality, since those who can't survive as mega-bestseller mangakas, will survive by finding other profession and either quit being mangakas totally or working half-assed merely as hobby /additional income.. Ergo only the best of the best and the average or even crappy work will remain. The simply-best and good-enough will be force to end/hiatus their manga early or just publish one-shots / miniseries.

And there also be gap and major change in publication schedule. Since many work would be as hobby or just an additional profession, those manga would have publication period in annually, no longer monthly. This fact actually already happened, more and more manga start to recede their publication period from 4 months to 6 months, to 1 year, 2 year, and some even 3 year.

Ergo in order to cover the gap, those best of the best mangakas would be 'pushed' to finish their tanks in very tight schedules... This is also already happened, testified by Oda-sensei (One Piece) & Mashima-sensei (Fairy Tail) that in order to publish their manga in 3-4 monthly, they only manage to get some sleep in around 3-4 hours daily. Imagine sleeping 3-4 hours for every day and pushing your body to stay up late, not really the healthy way of living...  it's 'push-your-luck' game with your lungs, eyes, spine, heart, blood pressure, etc.

But well, how many fans or pirates that really care...?? By statistic, not much since it's not their own health and financial problem...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:52:46 am by camolatte » Logged

guguk
~agak mirip manusia...
LX - Evangelis

Awards
« Reply #2878 on: June 12, 2013, 11:24:21 am »

Well, first thing first : I hope those mangaka keep their good health in priority, rather than finished their tanks ( seriously, how can we enjoy a manga when we know that the mangaka is ill / has bad health in order to pursue the schedules ).
I really enjoy manga and I know how to feel impatient to know the next stories, but that's not material, because someone's health is far far more important.

Pity if the probability you told about 'the simply-best & good-enough manga will difficult to survive' really happen.
Maybe if the pirates realize what they have done, it will be to late...

Anyway, I hope I would never be a dog who bite the hand that feed me ( or in this case : the mangaka who supply me with reading materials that I enjoy so much.. ) *woof*

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:31:49 am by guguk » Logged

camolatte
LX - Holic

WWW Awards
« Reply #2879 on: June 19, 2013, 09:40:35 am »

Have anyone heard about these that happened lately in Brazil?
#ChangeBrazil Small | Large

Pages: 1 ... 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 [288] 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 ... 317   Go Up
Print
Jump to: